Raindrop Therapy Massage
What is Raindrop Technique?
This technique involves applying therapeutic grade essential oils to the spine, neck and feet. The session lasts about an hour however the benefits may last up to a week or more.
Gary found that combining several holistic techniques, described below, created a synergistic effect for the body. The three modalities that combine to form Raindrop Technique are:
Aromatherapy – Raindrop technique uses seven single essential oils and two blends during the session.
Vita Flex Technique – Vita Flex was brought to the US in the 1920s by Stanley Burroughs. It is an ancient Tibetan healing methodology meaning "vitality through the reflexes". Its theory is based on the fact that slight pressure applied to the body creates an electric charge that is therapeutic to the body. This is known as piezoelectric.
- Feather Stroking - This is similar to a massage term technique called effleurage. But this technique was actually termed by the Native American Indians.
How does Raindrop get its Name?
Essential oils are actually dropped from about 6 inches above your spine, simulating rain drops! It feels like a rain drop gently striking your spine, and it is very relaxing and comforting.
It is thought that the oils interact with a person's electric field before even penetrating the skin of the back. Thereby, enhancing the electromagnetic properties of the oils as well. Amazing!
What is the Concept behind Feather Stroking?
In the 1980s Gary Young worked with a Lakota elder named Wallace Black Elk. He learned that the Lakota people went to Canada to experience the Northern Lights or Aurora Borealis (before there were border crossings and reservations). The Lakota people would raise their hands toward the light and breathe in the energy of the lights for healing purposes.
Once the Lakota people could no longer cross the border, they created a stroking technique along the spine using a feather that simulated the healing energy of the Aurora Borealis. And this is the massage technique that was taught to Gary Young and is named feather stroking.
What are the Benefits of Raindrop Technique?
There are numerous benefits of the Raindrop Technique. Here are just a few:
Balance and Re-align the Energy Centers of the Body – The combination of techniques brings electrical and structural alignment to the body. The essential oil blend of Valor helps the body align and is often referred to as "chiropractor in the bottle".
- Non-Manipulative Technique – No manipulation as in chiropractic is performed. The oils help support the body to come back into balance by opening energy flow throughout the body.
- Reduce Stress and Minor Anxiety - Not only can the oils enhance positive emotions such as joy and happiness, but they can also help us release negative emotions that are subconsciously stored on a cellular level.
Aid the Body's Natural Response to Irritation and Injury – Thyme and Oregano support the immune, respiratory, nervous, and other body systems. They are strong antioxidants.
Ease Occasional Muscle, Bone, and Joint Discomfort – Muscles that are sore, spastic or stressed will also benefit. Basil, Wintergreen, Marjoram, Cypress and Peppermint essential oils reduce tension in muscles. Wintergreen supports healthy bone structure.
Improve Immune System Functions – Thyme and Oregano essential oils support the immune system; and aid in the release of toxins in the body. This will contribute positively to your overall health and well being.
Emotional Well Being and Release – Essential oils cross the blood-brain barrier and effect the limbic system where emotions are stored in the "brain's emotional computer".
- Help Detox the Body Systems – The oils being high in phenols cleanse cellular receptor sites and enhance cleansing of the body.
- And many more!
What Essential Oils are used in the Raindrop Technique?
These are the oils that are used in Raindrop Technique! Click on each oil to learn more about the oil and find out the other benefits of using these fantastic oils.
- Aligning Essential Oil Blend: Ingredients - Rosewood (soothing to the skin it is emotionally stabilizing and is used for relaxation), Spruce (is grounding and releasing), Frakincense(stimulates and oxygenates the limbic system of the brain which helps to elevate our mood and helps us relax), Blue Tansy (helps combat anger and negative emotions). Has been beneficial in assisting the alignment of the physical structure of the body and repairing injuries of the spine. Helps in overcoming fear and opposition so we can stand tall during adversity. Assists in building courage, confidence, self-esteem and brings a feeling of calmness, peace and relaxation. It helps balance the electrical energies within the body.
- Oregano Essential Oil: Is anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, antiseptic, anti-infectious, analgesic, laxative, tonic, anti-parasitic, anti-viral, immune-stimulant, balancing metabolism, warts, strengthening the vital centers of the body, chronic bronchitis, colds, whooping cough, pulmonary tuberculosis, pneumonia, asthma, mental disease, chronic rheumatism, muscular pain. Beneficial for infected cuts, wounds, waterlogged skin, sooths nervous stomach disorders, stimulates liver and spleen, calms intestinal spasm, flatulence, stimulates appetite, aids gulping of air. Very stimulating nerve tonic, revives the senses (can ease deafness, pain noise in ears), migraines, facial tics, relieves imaginary diseases and mental psychopathic conditions, gives feeling of well being. When taken internally in olive oil it strengthens the immune system but should not be used too often because it can be toxic to the liver, kidneys and nerves. Studies on rats have shown oregano to be effective against lung tumors. Aromatic influences: strengthening and feeling self-secure.
- Thyme Essential Oil: Anti-microbial, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-infectious, anti-inflammatory, anti-parasitic, antiseptic, anti-viral. May work as a neurotonic and cardiotonic. Builds the immune system (stimulating white blood cells into action), assists in overcoming emotional fatigue and physical weakness especially after illness. Very strengthening to nerves, aids memory, congestion, low spirits, colitis, sinusitis, dyspepsia, general tonic for stomach, infectious colitis, bronchitis, asthma, tonsillitis, whooping cough, tuberculosis, cystitis, urinary, anthrax, warts, abscess, sciatica, lumbago, bruises, burns, insect bites, lice, sprains, poor circulation, raises low blood pressure, sporting injuries, diarrhea, chills, headache, insomnia, nerves. Aromatic Influences: Assist in supplying energy in times of physical weakness and stress, releases mental blocks, gives courage, uplifting, calms and relaxes anger and frustration.
- Basil Essential Oil: Has been known to help when used for intestinal problems, respiratory ailments, repairing connective tissue, asthma, emphysema, bronchitis, chronic nasal catarrh, whooping cough, sinusitis, poor memory, mental fatigue, and loss of concentration. It is used for insect and snake bites and as an insect repellent. Helps with wasp stings, gout, rheumatism, and muscular aches and pains. Beneficial against flu, colds, constipation, fainting, earache, gas, nausea, cramps, scanty periods, fever, loss of smell, and prostate problems. Assists hair growth and adds luster to dull hair. Used as an acne skin tonic and against infectious disease, anxiety, depression, migraine, nervous tension, and stress. May be antiseptic, anti-infectious, anti-spasmodic, and restorative (stimulant for nerves, adrenal cortex). Used as a heart tonic, stimulates blood flow, decongests veins and pulmonary arteries, and promotes milk flow in nursing mothers. Aromatic influences: Excellent aromatic nerve tonic, clears head, relieves intellectual fatigue, gives the mind strength and clarity eases "cold" feelings.
- Cypress Essential Oil: Gives energy improving circulation throughout the lungs and body and strengthening the blood capillary walls. Helps with edema, cellulitis, varicose veins, and water retention (may decrease any excessive flow of fluids whether a runny nose, diarrhea, excessive menstrual flow or perspiration). Assists in stopping bleeding from bleeding gums or cuts and purifies blood. It is an immune stimulant, tightens tissue, and helps with cramps, spasms, colds, insomnia, rheumatism, arthritis, and menopausal problems (can act as female hormone stimulant). It is a lymphatic decongestant, astringent, prostate decongestant, and anti-mucus. Benefits pancreas insufficiency, whooping cough, gut infections, stimulates sluggish intestines, pleurisy, pulmonary tuberculosis, pyorrhea, deodorant and deodorizer, asthma, bronchitis, nervous tension, hemorrhoids (internal and external), lack of concentration, stress, and general healing. It is a comfort and strength in times of death or divorce, uplifting, and fortifying. Helps with sexual preoccupation, uncontrolled crying and talking, squandering energy, and removes psychic blocks (and purifies, cleans psychically, physically). Use with lemon for young children deprived of parental affection and protection. Assists with transition or changing course in life. Aromatic influences: strengthens, eases the feeling of loss, create a feeling of security and grounding, heal emotions.
- Wintergreen Essential Oil: Beneficial for muscle and joint discomfort, arthritis, cellulite, obesity, edema, poor circulation, headaches (from liver congestion), stimulates liver, heart disease, coronarities crisis and preventative, hypertension, rheumatism, tendentious, cramps, anti-inflammatory, high in cortisone-like functions, eczema, hair care, psoriasis, gout, ulcers, broken or bruised bones. Caution: Avoid prolong exposure to this oil due to toxic build up in the liver.
- Sweet Marjoram Essential Oil: Has been known to help the respiratory system, anti-spasmodic, augmenting intestinal peristalsis, expectorant, digestive stimulant, migraine headaches, arthritis, muscular aches and stiffness, sprains, bruises (may drain blood from bruises and speed healing), gas, sinusitis, chronic fatigue syndrome and strains. Assists with circulatory disorders, asthma, bronchitis, coughs, colic, colds, PMS, constipation, headache, may dilate blood vessels (reducing the strain on heart) and hypertension. Also, insomnia, nervous tension, lowering blood pressure, cramps, pain, menstrual problems, para-sympathetic nerves, arterial vasodilator, and sedative. Aromatic influences: peace and sleep. May calm emotions, provide comfort during times of grief, loneliness and sadness. It may strengthen willpower. (Caution: long-term use may permanently inhibit sex drive.)
- Peppermint Essential Oil: Benefits the respiratory system and opens the sensory system. Used for stimulation, strengthening, shock, fever, headache, migraine, antiseptic, throat infection, and colds and flu. Beneficial for asthma, bronchitis, itchy skin, inflammation, swelling, sinuses, jet lag, chronic fatigue syndrome, colic, cramping, fatigue, nervous stress, vertigo, toothache, acne, ringworm, heartburn, diarrhea, indigestion, motion sickness, nausea, halitosis, vericose veins, arthritis, menstrual regularity, hot flashes, liver problems, and inferiority. It is helpful in dispeling pride and is anti-spasmodic and anti-bacterial. It mixes well with all oils (use in small amounts). Aromatic influences: purification of the conscious mind, energizes and relieves mental fatigue, increases alertness, improves concentration, and reduces fevers.
- Sports Pro Essential Oil Blend: Ingredients - Birch Bark, Peppermint, Nutmeg, Clove Bud, Pennyroyal, Black Pepper, Oregano, Thyme, and Sweet Marjoram. These oils were selected specifically for their properties that relax, calm and relieve the tension of spastic muscles resulting from sports injury, fatigue or stress. It is anti-inflammatory and assists in broken or bruised bones, sprains, swelling, muscles and joint discomfort. It increases circulation, strengthens the vital centers of the body, assists in supplying energy during stress, emotional fatigue and physical weakness. Strengthens the immune system by increasing the white blood cells, supports the adrenals, improves concentration and alertness, benefits the digestive, nervous and respiratory systems. Sport Pro promotes protection, strengthening will power, gives a feeling of courage, bravery, encourages fun and a zest for life.
Are there any Side Effects?
Because the Raindrop Technique encourages detoxification of the body, someone may experience some mild side effects or what is known as a healing crisis. These mild symptoms may include headache, sinus drainage or emotional release. The best advice is to drink plenty of water before and after a session.
While some may experience detoxification, others may feel relaxed, have heightened awareness or may be energized. It is really on a case by case basis, and depends on so many factors.